Affordable Legal Advice and Paralegal Services in South Africa Contact Us

We often get enquiries about whether it is necessary to register your business, if you are starting one; and what does this cost?

The short answer is that you do not need to register your business with the National Government, Provincial Government or even with the Municipality.

You do not need a business licence any longer.

However; certain registration may be necessary depending on the type of business that you are running.

There are also other types of restrictive trading licences; mainly set at local government level; which restrict certain practices eg trading in residential areas or not trading in certain public places.

Also Liquor licences have to be obtained if you are intending in any way to trade in liquor. Entertainment licenses are necessary if you intend entertaining the public eg having a live band, a disco or indeed all types of different types of entertainment. Clearly also if your business entity is a company, close corporation or trust; these legal entities will have to be properly registered.

You also need to register with SARS for tax purposes and also for VAT; if your predicted gross income will exceed R 1 million in the next financial year.

We trust that this assists you in making some of your business management decisions.

Please visit our website at or send us an email query to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and we will revert with a reply within 48 hours.

Thank you.

The Legal Advice Office Team.


Subscribe to our Legal Advice Blog

Follow our weekly Blogs:
To Subscribe to our Legal Advice blog is simple and easy. Just type your email address at the bottom and click GO

News Feed

Legal Advice Office

South Africa

Kandelaar Street, Vermont, Hermanus
Phone: +27 (0) 82 093 2304